Department of Rehabilitation of Ischemic Heart Disease Patients
Established in 1986, the Department of Rehabilitation of Patients with Ischemic Heart Disease A.N. Bakulev Scientific Center for Cardiovascular Surgery is the only scientific unit in Russia that carries out a full program of rehabilitation and treatment after Coronary artery bypass graft.
During the 18-year period of the department's work, more than 2,500 people after CABG , about 1,500 after heart valve replacement, and about 2,500 after acute coronary artery disorders received a course of rehabilitation and treatment.
Our patients are adults:
- after myocardial revascularization, aneurysm resection, myocardial infarction, endovascular dilations, prosthetics and plastic of valvular heart defects, reconstructive operations on the main vessels, combined pathology;
- with comorbid pathology to prepare for surgery;
In our department, some patients undergo a rehabilitation after heart surgery, myocardial infarction, coronary angioplasty, others - a complete examination and a drug therapy. If necessary, after the examination, patients are transferred to other departments of our Center for surgical treatment.
In our department working highly qualified doctors: cardiologists, rehabilitation specialists, psychotherapists, physiotherapy physicians. Our experience let reduce the rehabilitation period and quicker return our patients to their normal daily life after heart surgery.
History of the department
The department was opened in 1986 on the initiative of the Academician of the Russian Academy of Medical Sciences V. I. Burakovsky to introduce the most effective methods of diagnosis and treatment of cardiovascular diseases into practical public health. The department started it work on the basis of GKB No. 15. Since 2000 we are part of A.N. Bakulev Scientific Center for Cardiovascular Surge.
According to the character of work we had a main tasks:
- Development of rehabilitation programs (including medication, physical, psychological and social aspects) patients with coronary artery disease following CABG.
- Development of criteria for assessing the ability to work with patients with coronary heart disease after CABG.
- Rehabilitation of patients with ischemic heart disease who underwent myocardial infarction.
- Comparison of immediate and long-term results of CABG and PCI.
The main functions of the Department of Rehabilitation of IHD Patients:
- Completion of internal hospital rehabilitation of patients after cardiac surgery, after a recent myocardial infarction, angioplasty, thrombolysis.
- Providing specialized assistance to patients who need active rehabilitation.
- The definition of a set of measures for restorative treatment of patients at the hospital and subsequent stages.
- Exercise preparation and examination of patients with cardiovascular diseases, aimed at surgical treatment.
- Provision of consultative and diagnostic assistance in the long term after surgery.
- Development of questions of medical, physical, psychotherapeutic and social rehabilitation of patients after cardiovascular surgery at the hospital stage and in the long term after treatment.
- Development of a complex of measures to assess the patient's ability to work and the creation of comprehensive rehabilitation programs.
- Diagnosis and preparation for surgical treatment of patients with uncomplicated course of the disease.
- Providing consultative and diagnostic assistance to patients in the long term after surgical treatment.
- Create of new programs for rehabilitation and research of immediate and long-term results.
- Preparation on the basis of the department of cardiologists specialized on rehabilitation after сardiovascular surgery.
Course of Rehabilitation in the Department
The course of rehabillitation includes exercises on an exercise bicycle, psychological correction, exercises, massage, the selection of drug therapy and recommendations for lifestyle and work ability, as well as dynamic control in the postoperative period.
All patients with suspected or already confirmed cardiovascular disease (coronary heart disease, arterial hypertension, chronic heart failure) can undergo a full course of examination and treatment in our department.
We use all the most modern types of examinations that our Center has: ECG, ECG monitoring, Holter monitoring (24 hours), bicycle ergometry, 24-hour blood pressure monitoring, echocardiography, stress echocardiography, spiral computed tomography, magnetic resonance imaging, Electron-beam computed tomography, positron emission tomography, cardiac catheterization, angio- and coronarography, ultrasound scanning of blood vessels and internal organs, all laboratory and radiographic studies, etc.
If you do not have any pain, but you care about your health, we will examine you, using electro- and echocardiographic study, determine the risk factors for cardiovascular diseases and give recommendations on lifestyle and proper nutrition.
Treatment is conducted in the direction of the territorial health authorities or on a commercial basis.
Scientific activities of the Department of Rehabilitation of IHD Patients
A brief overview of the research results of the department staff can be summarized as:
The complex program of physical, medical, psychological and social rehabilitation of IHD patients after CABG was created.
Modern criteria for assessing the ability to work in patients with coronary artery disease after CABG have been developed and implemented, based on the determination of the energy cost of various types of physical and domestic loads. Estimating the affordable level of energy consumption and comparing them with the degree of energy costs that are possible in the process of the patient's activity in his main profession, allow the most objective assessment of the labor forecast and give labor recommendations.
For the first time in our country, a program for the rehabilitation of patients with IHD who underwent CABG was created.
The results of the study were introduced into the practice of a number of units of the A.N. Bakulev Scientific Center for Cardiovascular Surgery, 15 of the City Clinical Hospital, the Department of Sports Medicine and Physical Rehabilitation of the MSSI by N.A. Semashko, some cardiosurgical centers of Russia, sanatoria "Peredelkino" and "Arkhangelskoye".