Scientific Advisory Department of the Coronary and Vascular Surgery Institute
Scientific Advisory Department (SAD) of the Consultation and Treatment Center of the Coronary and Vascular Surgery Institution is a structural unit of the A.N. Bakoulev Scientific Center for Cardiovascular
Surgery of the Ministry of Health of the Russian Federation.Out-patient clinic, formerly known as Scientific Advisory Department in 1958-1961, began its work having 5 rooms on the ground floor of the Central Building. At those days, P.G. Stolypin, Major-General of the Medical Corps of the Soviet Army, was the Head of the Department. In 1961 the Department received its own premises and was renamed as Scientific Advisory Department. The Ministry of Health appointed N.A. Rachinskaya to the position of the Head of the Department. She began to establish a system of consultative rooms duplicating the surgical departments of the Institute. From 1967 to 1986 the Department was headed by prof. M.A. Gladkova, PhD, and since 1987 - by N.F. Ovodova, PhD. Since 1998 the Scientific Advisory Division of the Centre, which included two departments, was headed by prof. S.F. Nikonov, PhD. Prof. Malsagov G.U. leaded the Department in the Coronary and Vascular Surgery Institution of the A.N. Bakoulev Scientific Center for Cardiovascular Surgery since 2000, and since 2016 - Volkovskaya I.V., M.D. , cardiologist
Every year more than 25 000 consultations, 5 000 Hospitalizations and 10 000 diagnostic investigations are performed in the Scientific Advisory Department of the Coronary and Vascular Surgery Institute. In the SAD the patients are seen by highly experienced specialists who use all modern diagnostic methods. Currently, the staff of the SAD include 1 PhD, 2 M.D., 3 Research Assistants, 4 cardiologists. The patients examination is performed with the use of the modern diagnostic equipment. In the shortest possible time the specialists of the Department can put on accurate diagnosis and define indications for surgical treatment.
- ECG recording;
- Holter ECG monitoring;
- duplex ultrasonography of the extracranial segments of the brachiocephalic arteries, the renal arteries, the arteries and the veins of the upper and lower extremities, the inferior vena cava;
- ultrasonography of the aorta and its branches
- ultrasonography of the liver, gallbladder, pancreas, spleen, kidneys, adrenal glands, urinary bladder, pelvic organs, thyroid gland;
- radiographic investigations;
- laboratory blood tests
- Patient consultations aiming at diagnosis clarification and defining indications for surgical treatment in patients with cardiovascular diseases.
- Urgent and scheduled specialized consultative and diagnostic aid.
- Out-patient follow-up care of the patients with cardiovascular diseases required for correction of medication therapy and preparation of a patient for surgical treatment.
- Patients hospitalization to the Treatment Divisions for surgical treatment.
- Postoperative follow-up.
- Introduction of effective new methods of cardiovascular diseases diagnosis and treatment in collaboration with specialists of other Divisions of the Scientific Center for Cardiovascular Surgery.
- Study of long-term effects of the surgical treatment.
- Consultation without patient’s presence based on review of patient’s medical records.
- Scientific research activities.
- Reconstructive surgery of the heart valves and the coronary arteries room
- Surgical treatment of the coronary heart disease room
- Surgical treatment of the coronary heart disease and minimally invasive coronary surgery room
- Surgical treatment of concomitant lesions of the coronary and peripheral arteries room
- Arterial surgery room
- Surgical treatment of the cerebrovascular diseases room
- Functional diagnostic room (ECG)
- Echocardiography room – 1
- Ultrasonography room - 1
- Medical procedures room - 1
- Letters section
The Correspondence Department receives and registers all incoming medical documents (head of the section - T.V. Rycheva, who has been working here since its foundation in 1961). After medical documentation review by the doctors of Scientific Advisory Department, the Correspondence Department prepares replies and sends invitations to consultations and Hospitalizations to health authorities and individuals. The specialists of the Department actively participate in work of our field teams, which in the recent years visited and examined children and adults with cardiovascular diseases in Kursk, Pskov, Minsk, Kazan, Yaroslavl, Tver, Belgorod, Novgorod, Grozny, Kamchatka, Crimea, Ingush Republic etc.